Monday, April 4, 2016

Windows 10 Universal JS + Typescript = Broken in 2015 Update 2

I have been working on a windows universal 10 javascript application and everything was going great.  All my familiar tools were working perfectly and very little change needed to get things working the same way I usually develop.

I needed to re-pave my laptop and tried using a boxstarter script (more on this in another post).  Just about everything was going well, but when I opened the previously working project, it no longer had support for typescript.  Everything that was included with TypeScriptCompile tags were not included in the project and it would only run one time before erroring out saying that it was unable to find the produced js files.

After hours of wondering if my install failed, I was finally able to find an issue submitted on github.  Using Azure Virtual Machines, I was able to identify that the problem was actually related to Visual Studio 2015 Update 2 (see my comments on the issue with included pictures).  TypeScript seemed to work fine in other projects, but just not universal javascript apps.

There seems to be no one else on the internet with this problem, however.  It was insanely difficult to find even this issue, which frankly had very little information inside.  It makes me wonder if people are just not writing universal JS apps or if they are just no using typescript (which is crazy to me).

So far the universal javascript app experience has been quite amazing and very familiar to typical web development.  Hopefully people will begin writing these apps more and support for them improves.

No comments:

Post a Comment